If you are looking for more body and texture, try one of our sweet perms/body waves. Our stylists have 20+ years of experience in providing healthy and shiny waves customized just for you. Through our comprehensive consultation, we determine if you want tight low-maintenance curls or long loose romantic waves. Whether your hair has color or not, we can customize your waves to achieve your desired look.
A: The perms that are out now are less damaging than the perms your mom and grandma got. BUT please be aware that there are very harsh chemicals that are still needed in order to change the structure of your hair which makes the curl. Special shampoos and conditioners are recommended for at home after care. Our team can only guarantee a healthy perm that won’t go straight if you follow our at home care routine. Expect to invest in less than $50 in professional hair care products to save those curls!
A: A perm can last anywhere from around 2-6 months generally. The tighter the perm, generally the longer it will last as it will relax over time. And even though you may not see the curl anymore, be sure to tell our stylist that there is a previous perm in your hair, as the chemicals will still be lingering inside. The better your follow your at home care routine given by your stylist, the better your hair will be.
A: We will recommend waiting 48 hours before shampooing your hair to fully neutralize and relax. I always recommend a full 48 hours before shampooing. If you work out or sweat, just put a light conditioner in your hair in the shower or use dry shampoo.
A: Avoid scratching your head or brushing your hair heavily. Any type of scalp stimulation can cause burning by the perm chemicals. Also be sure to do a deep conditioning treatment a day before. We offer the Scruples Recovery treatments and a Sweet Vanilla Bean Treatment. The day of, your stylist will shampoo your hair for you so you won’t need to. Also be sure to avoid hot water.
A: Again, allow 48 hours to pass before shampooing with the products your stylist recommends. Get a good trim after to keep the curls healthy and bouncy. Layers help the curls on your head. The effect of perm lasts for about 6 weeks to 8 months. It majorly depends on your hair growth. So you should always get a touch up done on your root tips to maintain your perm.
Our signature in-salon smoothing services reduce frizz and curl, improve overall manageability and versatility, and make hair smoother, shinier and healthier-looking.
A: Sometimes a perm can pull out a little of your color. If you get the perm, wait a week, and then use a semi permanent hair color. Semi permanent uses a lower amount of hydrogen peroxide which will cause more damage and lead to color not taking as well. Also, the peroxide in permanent color can weaken your perm. If you have overly processed bleached or highlighted hair, stay away from perms all together until you can get your hair in a healthier condition.
A: This all depends on the look you are going for. If you are looking for a tighter, more ringlet like curl (like the singer in the band Little Big Town), a spiral perm is right for you. If you are looking for something that looks more natural you can opt for a perm with a medium sized rod. You can also choose to get a perm strictly for body. This is somewhat of a difficult question to answer because there are so many different options. This is where a consultation with our team is advised. Here are some examples below, however, NO ONE wakes up and has hair like this. Your stylist will show you how to style your perm. A perm can give you a PRIMER to achieve the style you want. Like any chemical treatment, there IS maintenance, a learning curve, and new products you must use to achieve your desired look.
Note: A perm is NOT for you if you are not willing to have “tight” curls for about two weeks before it relaxes, if you want a “wash and go” look, if you want to wake up with perfect curls/waves, or if you don’t have the time to learn how to style a perm using the right tools and products.
It is important to discuss your goals with your stylist to understand the overall results you can expect to achieve with a Smoothing Therapy treatment.
A: Be sure to go into this with patience. Perms are not a quick task. There are quite a few uncomfortable stages in getting a perm. There is a lot of tight heavy rods in your hair and some unpleasant smelling chemicals. Don’t worry though, it will all be worth it. Most importantly be honest with your stylist. There are many things that seem like they wouldn’t matter, but they really do. Such as, your shampoo, conditioner, they type of color you use, even the medications you may take.
A- It depends on how your hair length, texture, density, and desired style. It is best to come in for a free perm consultation with our experienced stylists. A sweet traditional perm (like our sweet grandma’s) is between $85-$150. Specialty perms for today’s modern waves (piggy back/e-wrap/candle wrap/root perm) $150-$250+. At home care products are for less than a total of $45. For short hair, a perm service can be 2-4 hours depending on the desired look. For long hair, a perm service can be 3-6 hours to make sure every strand is cared for.
1. In this process, the hair is firstly washed and then wrapped on a perming rod.
2. You can choose to have loose curls or tight curls by changing the thickness of the perm rod.
3. Then a waving solution is applied on the hair with a base.
4. This solution helps in breaking the bonds of the protein chains of the hair, thus softening the inner structure of the hair.
5. After the solution gets absorbed in the hair, the hair is washed again to remove any traces of the solution.
6. The hair stretches and softens, thus making it easier to perm.
1. You should shampoo your hair only 48 hours after the perming process. This is because your hair is very fragile and it needs time to adjust to the chemicals used in your treatment. Use a shampoo which is specially meant for “chemically treated hair.” These suit your chemically treated hair as they have gentle ingredients. All other shampoos are too strong for your fragile hair which may contain harsh chemicals.
2. After shampooing, it is very important that you condition your hair. It is a myth that conditioner will relax and ruin your perm. Using the right conditioner is the trick. Use a conditioner which is meant for chemically treated hair as it will help to keep your perm softer and last longer. Conditioner not only closes the cuticle but also act as a detangler.
3. Do not blow dry your hair! Instead air dry them or use a diffuser with a cool setting. Avoid using comb through your hair in the first 48 hours. Instead use your fingers to comb through your hair and then comb with a wide toothed comb.
4. Do not tie your hair into a ponytail or a bun. Let your hair open for 1 day or 2 days. It will avoid any deformation in your curls and help to maintain its shape.
5. Also trim your hair every 4-5 weeks. This will not only keep your hair healthy but will also spring up your curls.
6. Cover your hair when you go out in the sun. The UV rays from the sun can damage your permed tresses. If you go for swimming, wear a swimming cap to protect your hair from chlorine. Most importantly, always follow your stylist’s advice customized for your needs.
After all keeping your hair healthy after a perm is lot easier than what you think but you must follow your stylist’s recommendations.
(Source: welikehair, Written by xojessmonster)